Eric and Lara - my kids

Eric and Lara - my kids
Eric and Lara

01 January 2010

Introduction

Well, where should I start? My father always told me to start in the top left hand corner but I’m not sure that will work in this case. I was born in Pretoria, grew up in Johannesburg, did National Service in Potchefstroom, spent eight years travelling and living abroad and have spent the last ten years in the beautiful city of Cape Town.

I’ve just hit my forties but hey that’s when life starts anyway – so they tell me anyway. I’m married and have two great kids. My photography style tends to be more photojournalistic and I try to capture the moment rather than create it. I see myself as a good honest photographer which means, I try to get the shot correct straight out of the camera and keep post production down to a minimum. So I’m afraid if you are after those surreal, hyper-realistic images, I’m not your guy.

Currently I am also employed by UCT (the University of Cape Town) and whilst “yes” it does interfere with my photography. Soon after becoming a full time photographer I realised that a large percentage of my work was after hours, weddings, functions, birthdays etc. So to keep myself busy I started working at UCT part time, and then they went and made the position permanent, didn’t they? So I had the choice to lose the part time work or apply for the full time position. I did the latter.

The good news is that, it means that I can keep my prices down and focus on enjoying the photography. It does however mean I spend less time on post production (Photoshop), but as I said this helps to keep the costs down.
I am also currently Chairman of the Creative Camera Club, one of the fastest growing clubs in Cape Town.



I've also been fortunate enough to have some success whilst entering on-line photography competitions, twice picking up first place on the Camera Club Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment